Wednesday 3 May 2017

FASION ON THE RATION - 1940s STREET STYLE

On Sunday 30th of April I travelled up to Manchester to do a shoot and visit an exhibition at the Imperial War Museum North. The exhibition which was all about fashion during the Second World War promised a display of 1940s clothing and street style photography from the same time period.


With the intention of gaining some valuable inspiration and in the hopes of maybe discovering a few historical photographers I visited the exhibition. With my iPhone in my hand and my notebook in my bag I was ready to snap anything I found interesting and jot down any photographers names I wanted to further research. Unfortunately the exhibition mainly focused on the fashion side of things with the occasional photograph thrown in to back up the information. 


There were a good selection of historical street style images however, they did not come with any context or captions. Although I found some of the photographs interesting and I left feeling quite inspired to pursue a black and white shoot based around different prints and textures I did not come away with any photographer to further research. 


I would like to visit another exhibition while working on my final major project as I don’t feel as though I got much out of visiting this one. If you are really into fashion and like your history too I'd recommend visiting this exhibition, it was not great for photography research however. 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment